ROSA Enterprise Desktop X2
ROSA company is glad to announce ROSA Enterprise Desktop X2 — new version of operating system for enterprise use. The distribution includes software for all common tasks: office suite, Internet browser, E-mail and IM clients, audio and video viewers and editors and a lot of other programs. The distribution is based on ROSA Desktop Fresh KDE but provides additional stability guarantees — all updates except fixes for crucial bugs and security holes are published to RED repositories only after careful testing by QA team and users of ROSA Desktop Fresh.
If you would like to buy this distribution or get ISO image for internal tests, please contact ROSA sales department. See our site for details.
- Support for UEFI and Secure Boot
- Support for GPT drive tables
- Encryption of system partitions (/, /usr, /var)
- Support for modern file systems: Ext4 (default) and Btrfs
- Graceful integration with other operating systems installed on the same machine
RED X2 uses KDE4 (version 4.14.4) desktop environment with some brand-name ROSA addons:
- SimpleWelcome — a single launch point for your applications
- RocketBar — unique toolbar that provides quick and convenient way to launch applications and switch between them
- StackFolder that simplifies access to frequently used files and folders
- TimeFrame that visualizes your activity in time
- Firefox 38 and Chromium 42 web browsers
- Thunderbird mail client (version 31.6.0) with Lightning organizer extension
- LibreOffice office suite (version 4.4.3)
- ROSA Media Player based on FFmpeg codecs
- Digikam photo manager and Gwenview image viewer
- … and a lot of other programs for everyday work in office and at home.
To get the list of all available software, just launch the Rpmdrake program (aka «Install and remove software»).
- Based on stable versions of X.Org and Mesa
- Up-to-date versions of free and proprietary drivers for all series of Intel, NVIDIA and AMD video cards
- Support for hybrid graphics (it is recommended to setup video cards by means of the XFdrake program)
- LTS version of the Linux kernel
- GCC and Clang/LLVM compilers
- FPC and Lazarus for Pascal developers
- Perl, Python, Python3, Lua, Ruby and other interpreters
- MariaDB and PostgreSQL DBMS
- NTFS support
- Samba tools to interact with Windows networks
- ROSA Freeze tool to protect the core system from any modifications
Minimal recommended RAM:
- 1.5 Gb for 32bit systems
- 2 Gb for 64bit systems
We recommend to use at least 20 Gb of hard drive space for the root partition of the installed system.
Unlike ROSA Desktop Fresh, repositories of ROSA Enterprise Desktop doesn’t contain packages maintained by community. However, if you didn’t find a package in ROSA Enterprise Desktop repositories, you may take a look at Contrib repositories of ROSA Desktop Fresh. If it contains some software that you would like to see in ROSA Enterprise Desktop, please make developers know about that.
You can add Contrib repositories of ROSA Desktop Fresh directly in ROSA Enterprise Desktop by means of urpmi.media command launched in command line.
For 32 bit platforms:
urpmi.addmedia contrib http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/i586/contrib/release urpmi.addmedia contrib_updates http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/i586/contrib/updates --updates
For 64 bit platforms:
urpmi.addmedia contrib http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/x86_64/contrib/release urpmi.addmedia contrib_updates http://mirror.rosalab.ru/rosa/rosa2014.1/repository/x86_64/contrib/updates --updates
But remember that packages from Contrib are not officially supported and we don’t guarantee in-time updates and fixes for them.
RED X2 is planned to be maintained by 5 years. During the first 2 years, the distribution will be get new versions of all software included in it. In 2 years we are planning to release the new version of ROSA Enterprise Desktop, but for the next three years RED X2 will get fixes of critical bugs and security vulnerabilities.