Release notes ROSA Desktop.Fresh R1
About ROSA Desktop Fresh R1
ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 is a new code name for a new distribution from ROSA Fresh series. The R series of distributions is targeted to those users who looks for fresh and full-functional software. This series is developed by ROSA with significant help of community.
New users will get a fast high-quality system combining advantages and improvements of successful ROSA Fresh platform with fresh and stable software components.
Users who already work in ROSA Desktop Fresh 2012 are able to update their systems to ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 from official repositories. For avoid migration problem please read article Issues and workarounds for migration from ROSA Desktop Fresh 2012 to R1
You can find some information about known issues and workarounds of the release at the Errata page.
ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 is available in the following editions:
1. ROSA Desktop.Fresh R1 LiveDVD KDE4 Extended edition for i586 and x86_64 architectures with preinstalled codecs and proprietary components. Main, Non-free and Restricted repositories are enabled by default. Jasa seo
Additional editions (soon):
2. ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 LXDE for i586 and x86_64 architectures.
3. ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 GNOME Edition (GNOME 3.8.x).
- 780 MB RAM (recommends 2Gb - for the Live mode, as well)
- 10 GB free HDD space
- VGA display with resolution 1024x768 and PnP and EDID support
- Keyboard, mouse
- DVD/flash for installation
- Graphic cards: NVIDIA 8xxx and higher, ATI/AMD 5xxx and higher, Intel 965 and higher (HD series). Support for older cards is performed only by means of free drivers or can be absent at all.
Thanks to new rasterizer from Adobe and Google, font smoothing has been improved significantly.
ROSA graphical theme has got a lot of modifications:
- - Completely new slide show in the installer.
- - New decoration for window titles (with "shadow" support).
- - Renewed the set of widgets included to RocketBar by default.
- - Implemented our brand ROSA Elementary theme for Chromuim/Google Chrome.
- - Fixed issues discovered in the QgtkStyleAlt theme engine.
Besides migration from 4.9 to 4.10 by itself, one should highlight the following:
- - fixes of several regressions in upstream 4.10 (in particular, fixed losing focus in lock screen password window when pressing the Alt key, including the case when one uses Alt+Shift for keyboard layout switching - KDE bug #319935)
- - fixes for several bugs that have been present in upstream KDE for years (for example, partial reset of user settings concerning appearance after launch of KCM KDM - KDE bug #254430)
- - fixes of different cosmetic issues
- - improved quality of localization
ROSA brand-name tools:
- - TimeFrame is now able to show video directly in the preview window.
- - TimeFrame is now integrated with KLook.
- - A new widget "All desktops" (Expo) has been added to RocketBar which displays all user desktops in a single grid. Number of virtual desktops available for user right after installation is increased from one to four.
The core ROSA features remain in place in the new KDE:
- - a set of brand-name widgets (Simple Welcome, Stack Folder and others) used by default
- - integration of Dolphin file manager with KLook tool used to preview files of different types
- - extended KDE CC settings of font smoothing (possibility to enable/disable byte-code interpreter)
Later we will present updated Gnome 3.8.2 and LXDE desktops and ISO images based on them
- Libreoffice 3.6.6
- Firefox 21
- Thunderbird 17.0.5
- Chromium 27
- ROSA Media Player 1.6
ROSA Desktop Fresh R1 includes the new version of ROSA Media Player - 1.6 - with the following new features:
- - complete integration with YouTube, including video search, possibility to choose stream quality, etc.
- - possibility to record presentation from display and add audio from kuchnia microphone or line-in.
- - improved IPTV support;
- - DVD menu support;
- - significantly renewed module responsible for Internet browsing.
Windows Azure is a cloud computing platform and infrastructure, created by Microsoft for building, deploying and managing applications and services through a global network of Microsoft-managed datacenters.
Support for creation of Linux-based virtual machines is provided by RedHat, Novell, Canonical and some other vendors. And from now on, ROSA repositories also provide all necessary packages, tools and patches required for deploying guests with ROSA Fresh in Windows Azure.
Below you can find instructions on how to prepare virtual appliances:
- Steam - now you can connect this service and get access to a large variety of Linux games out of the box (requires proprietary NVIDIA or AMD video drivers). Note that Steam is targeted to 32-bit systems only, but you can try to use it in 64-bit system at your own risk.
- All repositories are now connected and enabled out of the box, so user can get system updates just after installation
- In 64-bit systems, main and non-free repositories for 32-bit platform are enabled by default to make it possible to install such programs as skype, wine, teamviewer, steam and others that are absent in 64-bit repositories.
- Kernel 3.8.12
BFQ and zswap are disabled by default due to stability reasons
- Dracut 27
The latest version for kernel 3.8.x series
- usermod changes
The code has been merged with upstream (Fedora). Currently two modes are available for consolehelper: root with password request (link to config-util) and root without password (config-util-user). Now consolehelper-based programs should be organized in the following way: primary file (xyz) should be placed to /usr/sbin/ or other folder not accessible by user, /usr/bin/ should contain a link to consolehelper, there should be a rule named /etc/pam.d/xyz with content like the following:
#%PAM-1.0 auth include config-util account include config-util session include config-util
and description in /etc/security/console.apps/
Draksec has been rewritten to use new rules. All other programs that use consolehelper have been updated, too.
- Modifications in sysvinit subsystem
As a part of migration to systemd, old init scripts have been completely dropped from the following subsystems:
- DM subsystem. Dropped prefdm and lookupdm scripts. Added systemd services for the main DMs - KDM, GDM, SLiM, LightDM. Now to choose a DM one should run systemctl enable xyzdm.service; to disable it, run systemctl disable xyzdm.service. Note that configuration line in /etc/sysconfig/desktop related to DM selection is ignored from now on. DM can be also switched using drakedm.
- Network subsystem. drakx-net has been completely dropped, we have also dropped network-up and network-auth parts from init scripts. Now we only have CLI (network) and NM subsystems.
- Added patches for X-Server 1.13.3 to improve monitor detection
- Intel video driver updated to 2.21.6
- NVIDIA 319.17 and NVIDIA304 (for cards prior to 8xxx)molydal 304.88
- AMD Catalyst (fglrx) 13.4
- NetworkManager 0.98
- Complete migration to NM. drakx-net subsystem has been completely dropped.
- urpmi and rpmdrake now don't calculate orphaned packages by default; this significantly speeds up package installation and removal.
- urpmi and rpmdrake now install updates more aggressively - when updating a single package, by default all its dependencies will be updated automatically.
- '--download-all' option for urpmi is now set by default to avoid problems with large updates.
- pm-utils is replaced with systemd.
Power management is now performed using systemd. For compatibility with KDE, a hybrid solution based on modified upower is used.
- Consolekit и PolicyKit are completely dropped from the system
These components are obsolete and now they are replaced with systemd analogues. Session management is now performed by means of logind.